We know you don’t spend your whole day online, so here’s a recap of recent stories:
- A new statement by the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends pediatricians provide counseling and advanced prescriptions of emergency contraceptives (e.g. the “morning after pill”) to teenagers.
- Planned Parenthood (of government funding and “we want to make abortions rare” fame) performed 5,250 abortions in Indiana in 2011 alone. Meanwhile they facilitated 12 adoptions between 2006 and 2012.
- A new report from the European Parliament’s gender equality committee calls for, among other things, banning children’s books that present parents in traditional roles.
- John Stemberger commented on Fox 4 (video) and debated openly gay state representative Joe Saunders on Fox 35 about the Orange County School Board’s proposal to add “gender identity and expression” to their nondiscrimination policy, which would allow cross-dressing teachers and possibly permit boys to use girls’ restrooms or locker rooms. The School Board adopted the new policy in a 6-2 vote after 6 hours of public testimony on December 12.
- While dozens of preliminary studies have been conducted on the effect of same-sex households on the children in those households, this is reported the first study to use data from a full census with a large random sample. It shows children of gay couples are academically disadvantaged.
- Openly gay leaders take seats in Tallahassee (Herald-Tribune) John Stemberger said “There are many homosexual persons who just want to be left alone and live their lives normally. But what’s unfortunate, and what we aggressively oppose, is this notion of trying to transform society. And ‘gay’ as in-your-face, loud and proud, forcing everyone to buy into your assumptions about life and human sexuality. And if you don’t we’re going to shut you down and call you a bigot.”
- On a legal level, 2013 will be a very important year for the institution of marriage as publicly defined in the United States of America. In fact, many are calling it the Roe v. Wade of marriage. It’s also, therefore, a very important year for religious liberty.
- In a My Word column in the Orlando Sentinel, John Stemberger writes that we should discriminate between right and wrong when it comes to our kids.
- Many companies’ and colleges’ lawsuits are essentially on “pause” waiting for the federal government to make good on its promise to amend the HHS mandate to fund contraceptives and abortifacients.