This has to be the “biggest lie.”
When it comes to same-sex unions, I often hear people in the world say, “live and let live” or, “if two guys get married it doesn’t affect you or anyone else….” You’ve probably heard the same thing, and you may have even heard it from friends and co-workers – maybe even in your church community.
But unfortunately, nothing could be further from the truth.
Now that the dust is beginning to settle, we can see more clearly exactly how the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to redefine marriage is going to affect so many other aspects of our lives – starting with our churches.
This change in the definition of marriage has dire consequences to religious liberty, and will eventually impact all of us, both directly and indirectly.
Your gift today will help us work to protect religious liberty for you, your family and others.
Who is at greatest risk and will be under attack soon, if not already:
- Churches meeting in public facilities or school auditoriums
- Christian schools seeking accreditation
- Faith-based non-profits which provide critical community services supplemented by government grants
- Faith-based child care agencies (adoption and foster care)
- Public/private charity partnerships – working in the areas human trafficking, emergency disaster recovery, soup kitchens, hospitals, etc.
- A vast variety of businesses which provide wedding related goods or services
If thinking same-sex marriage would not have consequences, is the “biggest lie”…
This is the most significant statement of truth:
“My people perish for lack of knowledge.”
While much of what happens is out of our control, spreading truth and knowledge is one thing that is within our control, and we must take a leadership role in educating people of faith and Christian leaders NOW.
We are already working to protect religious liberty here in Florida, and we went straight to a large group of pastors in Central Florida to speak truth and help to equip them for the attack!
Just last week I spoke twice at the Florida Renewal Conference, to over 575 pastors and ministry leaders from all over the state of Florida. The topic of my lecture was a:
Church Protection Checklist: There are specific bylaw provisions, and policies & procedures, which church leadership must have in place for a church to be legally protected if they come under an attack by gay-rights activists. If these critical policies and documents are not in place at that time, the pastor and church could find themselves with serious legal exposure after an extensive legal battle, paying out immense fines and possibly losing the church tax exempt status.
If you are a pastor, or ministry leader, and would like more information on how to protect your church as we enter this turbulent time in our country’s history, please email a request for resources to [email protected] (Your contact information is confidential and will not be shared.)
Click HERE to connect to our Pastors Resources Page to view this important document and others.
I know, we all want to think it can’t happen to us, to you, or to your church…but examples are popping up all over the country. It is only a matter of time until you read in your local newspaper that this is happening to a church near you, in your own community!
- In New Jersey, state officials attempted to revoke the tax-exempt status of a worship pavilion owned by the Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association of the United Methodist Church after they declined a request to hold a same-sex “civil union” ceremony there.
- In New York City, the school board – denying equal access to public property – has been trying for nearly two decades to block churches from meeting for worship services in their public school buildings on Sundays.
- In New Orleans, a church group providing free food to people who had lost their homes to Hurricane Katrina was ordered to stop its ministry because the group also offered a voluntary prayer service and Bible study.
Even the four U.S. Supreme Court Justices, who dissented with the majority in the same-sex unions’ case, expressed grave concerns which they warned us about with stark words…
“…the majority’s decision short-circuits that process, with potentially ruinous consequences for religious liberty.” – Justice Clarence Thomas
“Today’s decision…will also have other important consequences. It will be used to vilify Americans who are unwilling to assent to the new orthodoxy. … [They] will be exploited by those who are determined to stamp out every vestige of dissent.” – Justice Samuel Alito
“Unfortunately, people of faith can take no comfort in the treatment they receive from the majority today.” – Chief Justice John Roberts
Friday, June 26th, 2015 will always be to me the day that America turned one of the saddest corners in her over 200 year history.
America will never be the same again, because the floodgates that held back attacks on religious liberty have been busted wide open.
But it is also true…that how bad the damage is over time, will be partially up to us and what we do to stop and limit its destruction now.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this is on our watch.
This is our time.
We have been entrusted a great heritage, which values religious freedom, and it is our responsibility to protect it for future generations – as much as is within our power.
Would you please do 3 things today?
- Please forward this e-mail to your pastor and church leadership.
- Please pray for your church, your church leadership, and our country.
- And then, please give a gift, as generous as you can, to support the efforts of Florida Family Policy Council as we work to protect religious freedom in Florida.
I hope you will join me taking action today, to protect our religious liberty tomorrow.
Thank you for standing with us,
Florida Family Policy Council
PS: Please know how much I appreciate you standing with us by communicating to your pastor and church leadership; praying for your church, its leadership, and our country; and giving a gift (if you are able to) today. This is a hill we are willing to die on and we will never give up. But we can’t do this without you. Thank you!