Facts and Research About Abortion
Every life is valuable, from conception to natural death. The Declaration of Independence of the United States defines the basic truth that we are all created equal. Our founding document states that our lives are established by our ”Creator with certain unalienable Rights that among these are Life, and the pursuit of Happiness.” Yet, every day in Florida and around the nation these basic rights are denied to thousands of growing babies who lose their lives because of abortion. It is the duty of government to protect life. And since the 1973 Roe vs. Wade ruling, our government has failed to fulfill this most basic responsibility.
“It is a terrible irony that while some turn to abortion, so many others who cannot become parents cry out for children to adopt. We have room for these children. We can fill the cradles of those who want a child to love.” — President Ronald Reagan, Feb. 6, 1985
Talking Points & Fact Sheets
1. Abortion Statistics (Live Action)
2. Abortion Talking Points (Focus on the Family)
3. The Truth About Abortion (PDF) (Liberty Counsel)
4. Top 10 Myths About Abortion (Family Research Council)
Top 10 Myths Video Series
5. Abortion Leading Cause of Death in 2018 with 41 Million Killed (Breitbart)
6. Top Planned Parenthood Deceptions (YouTube) (Alliance Defending Freedom)
7. Debunking Planned Parenthood’s “3%” Abortion Myth (YouTube) (Live Action)
8. Questions and Answers on Late-Term Abortion (PDF) (Charlotte Lozier Institute)
9. “It’s no myth: Studies, documents say abortion can cause infertility, miscarriage”
10. Abortion Raises Risk of Miscarriage of Subsequent Pregnancy 60 Percent (LifeSiteNews)
11. Speaking Up to Defend Life in One Minute or Less (Focus on the Family)
12. 4 Ways Pro-Life Conversations Strengthen the Pro-Life Movement (Family Research Council)
13. The Best Pro-Life Arguments for Secular Audiences (Family Research Council)
14. Why is Abortion Wrong? (Focus on the Family)
15. Complications from the Abortion Pill(s) (Focus on the Family)
16. The Long Term Physical Risks of Abortion (Focus on the Family)
17. RU 486: The Abortion Pill (National Right to Life)
18. Fetal Development Stages (National Right to Life)
19. The Real Planned Parenthood: Leading the Culture of Death (2019 Edition) (Family Research Council)
20. U.S. Abortion Statistics
Facts and figures relating to the frequency of abortion in the United States.
21. America’s Abortion Provider: What Everyone Should Know About Planned Parenthood (Family Research Council)
Comprehensive Research and News Articles
1. Advanced Pro-Life Apologetics Course (Dr. Scott Rae, Life Training Institute)
2. Abortion Techniques (National Right to Life)
A brief description of various methods used to abort babies in the womb.
3. The Truth About Planned Parenthood (National Right to Life)
4. Investigative Videos Exposing Planned Parenthood’s Illegal Sale of Baby Body Parts (YouTube) (Center for Medical Progress)
5. Planned Parenthood Admits Its Focus Is Abortion (2019, by Tony Perkins, The Daily Signal)
6. Short Is the Road That Leads From Abortion to Infanticide, Euthanasia (2019, by Bruce Ashford, The Daily Signal)
7. Why Infanticide Isn’t A Bridge Too Far For Many Abortion Supporters (2019, by Hans Fiene, The Federalist)
8. The ‘Sanctity of Life’ Ethic (Focus on the Family)
9. Returning to a Culture of Life (by Kelly Rosati, Focus on the Family podcast)
10. Planned Parenthood is Not Pro-Woman (Patrina Mosley, Family Research Council)
11. Abortion Harms Women and Destroys Life (Alliance Defending Freedom)
12. Women Deserve better than Abortion (Alliance Defending Freedom)
13. Planned Parenthood Is Targeting Baby Girls in the Womb (Cathy Ruse, Family Research Council)
14. Abortion: A Wound in America’s Conscience (Bob Morrison, Family Research Council)
15. Pastors, speak up for the unborn (by David Schrock, The Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission (ERLC))
16. From Two Murder Victims to One: It Didn’t Take Long for New York’s Radical Abortion Bill to Show its Deadly Consequences (2019, by Albert Mohler)
17. Fetal Pain: Can Unborn Children Feel Pain in the Womb? (by Ashley Morrow Fragoso, Family Research Council)
18. Fetal Pain: The Science (by Brittany Raymer, Focus on the Family)
19. Supreme Court Upholds Partial-Birth Abortion Ban on 5-4 Decision (2007, LifeSiteNews)
20. Royal College Warns Abortions Can Lead to Mental Illness (2008, by Sarah-Kate Templeton, Times UK)
21. One-Issue Politics, One-Issue Marriage, and the Humane Society (by John Piper)
22. Can Christians Use Birth Control? (2012, by Albert Mohler)
23. 10 Reasons Why It Is Wrong to Take the Life of Unborn Children (by John Piper, Desiring God)
24. U.S. Abortion History (Abort73)
Where a resolute commitment to educating the public is in place, and where there is support for women in crisis pregnancy, and where there are laws on the books to inform public morality, the prospects for reversing the current frequency and acceptability of abortion are very promising.
Books, Interviews Websites and Additional Resources
1. Unplanned: The Dramatic True Story of a Former Planned Parenthood Leader (Book) by Abby Johnson
After the director of a Planned Parenthood clinic in Texas participated in her first abortion procedure, she quit her job and walked across the road to join the Coalition for Life. In this heart-stopping personal drama, you’ll discover how Abby Johnson’s spiritual transformation instills hope and compassion into the political controversy surrounding this issue.
2. True to Life! The Incredible Story of a Young Woman Who Spoke Up for the Unborn and Found Herself in the National Spotlight
By Janet Folger
Follow Folger’s growth from a shy woman afraid to speak to a bold fighter in the right-to-life battle. Instrumental in the banning of partial-birth abortions, she shares true stories of God’s undeniable hand at work and a creative action plan for success in the human rights movement.
3. Abortion Rites: A Social History of Abortion in America
By Marvin Olasky
Graphic written depictions and candid discussions of sexual matters, along with plain information about matters such as abortion techniques, make this not a book for children or the squeamish, but an important book nonetheless as it brings together information not found elsewhere in a comprehensive form. An important book when it was first published in the early nineties, it has become a classic in the field.
1. Interview with Pam Tebow at FFPC’s 2018 Pro-Family Days
Pro-life advocate and mother to former NFL quarterback & MLB outfielder Tim Tebow.
Additional Web Resources
1. Sex-Selective Abortions in America Information and Statistics (Protect Our Girls, a project of Live Action)
2. Diary of an Unborn Baby (National Right to Life)
Stages of development of an unborn child from conception to birth.
3. Information for Teens About Sex, Pregnancy, Abortion and Choices
6. Live Action
Live Action uses new media to teach the public about the humanity of the preborn and investigative journalism to xpose threats against the vulne able and defenseless. Watch Live Action videos on YouTube.
7. Priests For Life
Priests for Life refers to a very specific effort to galvanize the clergy to preach, teach, and mobilize their people more effectively in the effort to end abortion and euthanasia. On another level, Priests for Life represents a family of ministries that reach and enrich every aspect of the pro-life movement, for clergy and laity alike, in a wide variety of activities.
8. Silent No More Awareness Campaign
Silent No More Awareness is a Campaign whereby Christians make the public aware of the devastation abortion brings to women and men. The campaign seeks to expose and heal the secrecy and silence surrounding the emotional and physical pain of abortion.
9. National Institute of Family and Life Advocates (NIFLA)
NIFLA seeks to provide pregnancy resource centers with legal resources and counsel with the aim of developing a network of life-affirming ministries in every community across the nation in order to achieve an abortion-free 1.
10. The Center for Medical Progress
The Center for Medical Progress is a group of citizen journalists dedicated to monitoring and reporting on medical ethics and advances.
11. The Pro-Life Action League
The Pro-Life Action League was founded by Joseph M. Scheidler in 1980 with the aim of saving unborn children through non-violent direct action.
12. The Human Life Alliance
Human Life Alliance (HLA) is dedicated to creating a culture in which all human life, from the process of fertilization to natural death, is respected and cherished.
14. The Center for Bio-Ethical Reform *WARNING – Graphic Content*
15. John Wilkie and Life Issues Institute
16. Mark Crutcher and Life Dynamics
17. National Catholic Bioethics Center
18. Protect our Girls (Projects of Live Action)
When it comes to sex selection and gendercide, most people think of China, India, and other cultures that are known to prefer boys over girls. But, studies show that this unethical practice is happening right here in America. This is a comprehensive research-intensive site that seeks to show why sex-selective abortion is immoral and unjust.
Works to protect women and children from the violence of abortion.
20. Pro-Life (American Center for Law & Justice (ACLJ))
21. Sanctity of Life (Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF))